Derwood was first recognized in the 1880s as a train stop on the B&O Railroad, which is now the intersection of Indianola Drive and Maryland Route 355 in Derwood Station. A second, larger railroad station was built in 1886-1889. In the early 1900s, a small community grew up around the station.
On January 7, 1954, Schwartz Mill caught fire and both it and the railroad station were destroyed. Derwood station was never rebuilt, since there were not enough passengers traveling through the area.
In 1965, the man-made Lake Needwood was created by impounding Rock Creek.
In 1974, the post office relocated to Redland Shopping Center. It kept the name “Derwood Branch,” and designated the entire 20855 zip code area, greatly increasing its size. The community’s population expanded with the establishment of Shady Grove Metro station in 1984.
Derwood is an unincorporated area in east-central Montgomery County, Maryland. It lies just north of Rockville, south east of Gaithersburg, south west of Olney, and north west of the greaterSilver Spring, Maryland area, originally “Deer Park” then “Deer Wood,”
It includes the neighborhoods of Derwood Station, Mill Creek Towne, Needwood Estates, Muncaster Manor, Muncaster View, Hollybrooke, Granby Woods, Park Overlook, Redland Crossing, Candlewood Park, Cashell Estates, Avery Forest, Avery Lodge, Avery Village, Bowie Mill Estates, Bowie Mill Park, Winters Run, Redland Station, Rolling Knolls, Emory Grove, and Shady Grove Crossing.
Public school information- Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. Check with the school board.
- Elementary Schools
- Washington Grove Elementary School
- Mill Creek Towne Elementary School
- Sequoyah Elementary School
- Candlewood Elementary School
- College Gardens Elementary School
- Middle Schools
- High Schools
Evers & Co.